The Hungarian Museum of Environmental Protection and Water Administration, centre for the network of memorials from the history of water administration in Hungary, is located in one of the nicest buildings in the city of Esztergom.
The house functioned as the main building of the estate, built around the 1730s and belonging to the chapter of Esztergom, once an autonomous village.
It had already been considered a most outstanding building in the city in the 18th century, which is why the royal crown was left here under custody for its overnight transportation from Vienna to Budapest on 20 February in 1790, the night when King Joseph II died. The museum was opened on 31 October, 1980. A new permanent exhibition has been constructed and opened on 9 October, 2001 following a three-year reconstruction project.