Zeßnegg, Croatian: Česneg and Slovak:
Česnek) is a village in Veszprém county, Hungary. Famous
for its medieval castle.
The medieval castle of Csesznek was built about 1263 by the Baron
Jakab Cseszneky who was the swordbearer of the King Béla IV. He and
his descendants have been called after the castle Cseszneky. Between
1326 and 1392 it was royal castle when King Sigismund changed offered
it for the Garai family in lieu of the Macsó Banate. In 1482 the male
line of the Garais died out and King Matthias Corvinus donated the
castle to the Szapolyai family. In 1527 Baron Bálint Török took it up.
During the 16th century the Csábi, Szelestey and Wathay families was
in the possession of Csesznek. In 1561 Lőrinc Wathay repulsed
succesfully the siege of the Ottomans. However, in 1594 the castle was
occupied by the Turkish troops, but already in 1598 the Hungarians
recaptured it. In 1635 Dániel Esterházy bought the castle and village
and from that time on Csesznek was the property of the Esterházy
family till 1945.
Cities, towns and villages in Veszprém county